Friday, September 30, 2011

Turning Back the Clock

1930s Vintage Clock via Etsy
My 3 C's and I have been reading about the 1930s and the Great Depression. My dad was a child during this precarious time in our country's history and it occurred to me that now would be a good time to ask my dad some questions about his life and get some stories recorded. While not a novel idea, recording your family's past certainly seems like an idea that can be left as a good intention and not ever turn into a reality. I really don't want that to be the case so we began last night with my 3 C's sitting down with Papa to ask him some questions. It was a really sweet time and one that I hope we'll repeat many times in the coming weeks and months.
My dad talked about where he lived, what his dad did for a living, what games and toys they played with and what they had to eat. The meal that stands out the most for my dad during the Great Depression was their Sunday night dinner: torn up pieces of white bread with milk and sugar on them. It seemed like a real treat at the time.
My dad said that he and his younger brother as young children didn't really know that life had been any different than what they were experiencing. He summed it up like this, "Our folks, they were the ones that knew the difference between how bad it was or how good it was and so they tried to make it as good as they could make it with what we had to work with. So it worked out all right." Behind his words, I can picture the loving protection going on. Let's make life as good as we can for our kids. Isn't that what we all hope for? I also hear the strong and steady beat of a pragmatic drum that kept my family going. Make the best of what you've got and be grateful for all that you have. Keep going.  I am grateful to God for the love that has passed down through my grandparents and parents. I'm thankful too that my own children can reach back into the past to connect with that love and continue to live it out. Thanks for sharing Dad!

No comments:

Post a Comment